How To: Upgrade BlackBerry Curve 9360 to OS 7.1
Just 3 days ago, I purchased a new BlackBerry Curve 9360 Apollo with BlackBerry OS 126.96.36.1995 installed.
I heard that there was a leaked OS 188.8.131.52 available online since last month which comes with new features such as Mobile Hotspot support, FM Radio support and battery life improvement.
Because of those new features and improvement I decided to upgrade my Curve 9360 to OS 184.108.40.206 though this OS is still a leaked version / an unofficial release. The unofficial release means the release is not supported by RIM or your Carrier. Do it at your own risk if you want to install. However it mostly works for you.
This leaked version works well on my Curve 9360. I have tested the Mobile Hotspot and FM Radio feature, both are working flawlessly.
UPDATE 1: The Official BlackBerry OS 220.127.116.118 for Curve 9360 is now available for download from Mobilicity. On this version you can find a new feature – Battery Saving Mode – which will automatically adjust your BlackBerry device settings to maximize remaining battery power. You can find this option at Options > Device > Battery Saving Mode.
UPDATE 2: The Official BlackBerry OS 18.104.22.1686 for Curve 9360 is now available for download from Telenor Norway.
You can install any BlackBerry Device software from other Carrier by deleting the vendor.xml file located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader directory.
How to upgrade the Curve 9360 Apollo to OS 7.1?
I followed the step-by-step described at Techonia.com. Though the tutorial is for BlackBerry Curve 9300 3G but it works for all BlackBerry models. What you need to do is the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows (v7.0 B44) and the leaked OS 22.214.171.124.
Here is the step-by-step on how to upgrade BlackBerry Curve 9360 to OS 7.1
1. After installing the leaked version of OS 126.96.36.199 software for Curve 9360, run the BlackBerry Desktop Software (BDS).
2. Connect your Curve 9360 to the computer via USB cable. You should be prompted that a new version of BlackBerry Device software is available locally in the computer (local installation). Click Get update button to get the software update.
3. In the next step, it is recommended that you back up your data before updating the software. When you back up your data, your device settings, your data, and applications are saved and restored back to your device when the update is complete. Click Install update to start installing the update.
4. The updating process can take up to one hour so be patient to wait while your BlackBerry device software is updated. Do not disconnect your device or interrupt this process during the installation steps as it could make your device broken.
5. After around 30 minutes, the device should be successfully upgraded to BlackBerry OS 7.1. You can now safely disconnect your device from the computer.
Now you are ready to taste new experiences of BlackBerry OS 7.1 such as Mobile Hotspot and FM Radio. You can find the FM Radio application under Media folder.
Here are the screenshots of my BlackBerry Curve 9360 running OS 188.8.131.52:
About Device Version
Mobile Hotspot Connected
Playing FM Radio